From 1911 to 1913, the Grand Hotel was refurbished and given its present facade, with white granite from the Sognefjord area of western Norway, and the characteristic clock tower with its copper roof and beautiful view.
At that time, the hotel had 120 rooms and 50 baths.
The choice of the name Grand Hotel was appropriate, because the building was so large, and because Kristiania was in the process of becoming a big city. The city held its jubilee the same year as the Grand Hotel opened its doors, and its new center was Karl Johans gate. It is also possible that the Fritzner brothers were inspired by the Grand Hotel in Stockholm, which also was completed at around the same time.